We use the Saxon Phonics series and the way it worked out, we were studying the letter K during Christmas. So, I was trying to think of a Christmas activity that could center around the letter K. We also had been reading lots of Christmas books that tell about how Santa comes down the chimney. My kids were asking what happens if you don't have a chimney at your house. So, I decided to make "Santa's Magic Key" for all those who don't have a chimney--and it also goes along with 'K' -- our letter of the week. I searched your website for a key template and found the one that goes with the pirate/treasure chest activity. I used it by running your template off on cardstock, painting on glue, and sprinkling with red glitter. I wrote this short poem to go with it:
If you don't have a chimney
For Santa to come down
Leave this magic key outside
And your gifts will still be found
- cardstock, construction paper or regular paper,
- a printer,
- hole punch,
- wool or ribbon (again...red or green would be nice)
- Optional: glitter (red or green would be great)
- Print out the template of choice.
- You can print the color template with or without the poem or if you are planning to use construction paper or cardstock you can print the black and white versions and decorate them yourself.
- Cut out the key (and message if you printed that template).
- Brush glue on the key and sprinkle with glitter and Let dry.
- Hole punch the key and the poem
- Use wool or ribbon to tie the two together.
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).