DLTK's Crafts for Kids
PIRATE's TREASURE CHEST CRAFT
© by Leanne Guenther
If you are doing this craft for a party, you may wish to pre-do up to Step 3.
CLICK HERE to see a full sized
photo of the craft. Close the photo window when done viewing.
- an empty kleenex box
- some black and
yellow construction paper.
- a printer
- something to colour with.
- Cover the kleenex box with black construction
paper (all sides). Use enough glue that when we slit open the top the paper will
- Using sharp scissors, have an adult cut around 3
sides of the kleenex box, about an inch from the top (so the treasure chest opens).
You will need to bend back the cardboard on the remaining, attached side so
the chest opens and closes nicely.
- Glue a piece of yellow or red construction
paper, felt or tissue paper to the inside of the "lid" and chest (so it looks
like a nice velvety lining)
- Now comes the fun part! Print out the
template of choice.
- Colour the pieces, as necessary and cut them out
- Glue the KEEP out warning onto the top (lid) of
- Cut 1/2 inch strips from yellow construction
paper and glue them to all the edges of the treasure chest.
- Glue the lock onto the front of the chest
- Glue the handles onto the sides of the chest.
- Optional: Glue sequins, fake jewels or
painted rocks onto the lid for a jewel encrusted treasure chest
- Fill with gold coins (chocolate ones are daddy's
favorite) or put the, oh so stereotypical, tie or wallet inside and use the chest as a
really cool gift box!
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Printable version of