DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Stained Glass Easter Egg Craft
Contributed by Leanne Guenther
Use this as a craft you can hang in your window or make
it as a card for a special friend.
There is an option at the bottom for younger kids, instead of melting
- waxed paper,
- wax crayons (Crayola don't work as well as the cheap kind
for this project, though they do still work)
- manual pencil sharpener (with a fairly large hole)
- iron, ironing board and scrap paper (white computer paper or
brown paper bag)
- construction paper,
- glue stick or white glue.
- ADULT: Plug in the iron and cover the ironing board
with scrap paper. Set the iron to medium (no steam).
- Tear a piece of waxed paper that's square (or a bit longer
than it is wide) and fold it in half. Then unfold.
- Optional: Print the template at the bottom of this
page and slide it under the waxed paper as a rough guide for filling the egg
Thanks Geri for sending this in!
"Have the kids color a picture with crayons. They can color dark or light - it doesn't matter but
the darker sometimes looks better. They really do look like stained glass pictures, especially if the picture had heavy black
- Use crayons, NOT markers or colored pencils.
- Have a few bowls with a VERY small amount of cooking oil and a couple of cotton balls in them.
- Have the kids flip the pages over and slowly and thoroughly rub the cotton balls on the paper.
(You'll see the paper turn transparent and the colors come through).
- Put them aside to dry (usually doesn't take long)!
- Cut them out and either hang them as is with a hole punched
in them or frame them with construction paper.
Thanks Terri for sending this in!
"I have done for this to make it more suitable for younger kids. Instead of using wax paper and melting
- Use clear Contact Paper and tissue paper pieces.
- Put Contact Paper piece sticky side up on the table (may need to tape it down).
- Let kids stick tissue paper pieces to the sticky paper
- Cover with another piece of Contact Paper sandwiching the tissue in between.
- Frame with dark construction paper as directed for the
melted crayon version.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Printable version of these instructions