I love water color and I love autumn, so this is one of my favourite crafts! Kids can express their creativity with lovely autumn leaves and flowing water color paint. This autumn wreath is a colorful way to get in the mood for the autumn season and would also make a beautiful decoration!
- white paper (water color paint warps paper, so the thicker the paper the better; special water color paper works the best but printer paper would be okay too),
- a paper plate
- water color paint,
- Cut the center out of the paper plate to leave a round "donut" shape. This will form the base of the wreath. (This may require adult assistance).
- Create the leaves to cover the wreath using the printer paper template:
- Print out the template pieces - you may wish to print 2 or 3 copies of the template depending on how full you want your wreath to be.
- Paint the autumn leaves using different Water Color Painting Techniques. This is where children can show their creativity! (Beware, the printer ink may run with the water color ink.)
- Create the autumn leaves to cover the wreath using traced water color paper:
- Paint water color paper with different Water Color Painting Techniques. Don't worry about painting in lines, you will cut the paper into autumn leaves later.
- Make a few different autumn leaf templates by freehand or print out one of the templates provided and use some of the different autumn leaves as templates.
- Trace the autumn leaves onto the back of the water color paper as many times as you can fit the shapes.
- Cut out the template pieces, either from the printer paper templates or the traced water color paper. This will take quite awhile -- you can provide assistance if you like (depending on the patience of your child).
- Glue your autumn leaves to completely cover your paper plate "donut".
- OPTIONAL: You can tie a bow and paste it on to decorate further.
- OPTIONAL: You can put a piece of yarn on the back to hang it.
- OPTIONAL: You can write some short messages on the leaves: autumn quotes, autumn words, you favourite things about autumn, etc.
- OPTIONAL: You can do these as a group with younger children -- let each child paint and cut out one or two autumn leaves, possibly print their names on it, and glue it on the group wreath.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).