DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Graduation Cap Craft
They grow up so fast!!!
Materials (for a full sized cap to fit a child):
- sheet of poster board in appropriate color (school colors)
- Optional: wool in an appropriate color (school colors)
- You can use white poster board and paint it an appropriate color, but I
find the board curls a bit when painted. You're better off purchasing
the poster board in the color you need.
- Measure out two equal sized squares onto the poster board. The
squares should be about 12" across.
- Cut out the squares.
- Set one aside. On the other square snip triangles out of the
corners to form a sort of cross shape as shown in the image to the
- Fold the sides of the cross (see yellow dotted lines in image).
- Staple the edges together where they meet (see yellow circles in the
- Repeat with the other sides to form a "cup shape" that the
child will wear on their head.
- Staple or glue the square on top of the cup shape to form your grad
- Optional: Make a tassel with wool:
- Wrap a piece of wool around a 3 1/2 inch disk, your hand or a
piece of cardboard about 20 times
- Tie a long piece of wool (about 24") through the loop
- Remove wool from base and tie a 4" piece of wool around the
loop you've made about 3/4" down from the top
- Snip the ends at the bottom to form the tassel.
- Staple or tape the tassel to the cap
- Wrap a piece of wool around a 3 1/2 inch disk, your hand or a piece of cardboard about 20 times
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble
fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP in most browsers).
The template is about 1/3 the size you'll need for a child, but you can use it to make a cap for a teddy bear or use it to follow along when you're measuring.