DLTK's Crafts for Kids
You Are My Sunshine Craft
Contributed by Leanne Guenther
I've had a lot of positive response from people
about this craft. Although it was originally made for mother's day, here are some
alternate ideas I received from people who used the site:
- kindergarten graduation gift from children to
their parents (at an assembly or graduation tea)
- gift from children to their teacher when the
school year is over or when a teacher retires or leaves the school (have the teacher be
the sun and all the children be the flowers... make a single collage/card)
Although meant to be a fridge magnet, if you
don't have magnet backings, don't worry about it too much. Use the craft for a card,
make a collage/picture from it or just as individual pictures to hang up. I'm sure
everyone will love it no matter how the kids present it!
- something to colour with,
- Magnet backing
- A photograph or hand drawn picture of mom and
dad's face or the teacher's face (depending on who you are giving it to) and a photograph
or hand drawn picture of the child's face that will fit inside the circle of the flower
and the circle of the sun.
- To make the craft sturdier, you can paste the
paper template onto a piece of poster board or cardboard before cutting it out.
(Whenever I need poster board, I usually use the cardboard that comes out of nylon
stocking packages or empty cereal boxes)
- Print out the template of choice. Glue the
template onto poster board or cardboard if you wish to make the craft sturdier.
- Colour (where appropriate) and cut out the
template pieces. Younger kids may need help with this.
- Cut the pictures out in a circle shape to fit
inside the sunflower and the sun.
- Paste mom & dad's picture or the teacher's
picture into the sunshine and the child's picture into the sunflower.
- Attach the magnet to the back (most of the
magnets from the craft store come with a sticky backing, but if you have one that doesn't
use a glue gun to attach)
- When printing the template, make sure to set all
your margins to zero so that the page prints properly.
- If you are using the black and white template,
print it on yellow coloured construction paper as an Alternative to colouring it in.
- Feel free to decorate further with sparkles,
sparkle glue, sequins or anything else the kids can think of.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble
fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP in most browsers).
When the children give the gift,
make sure they sing!
"YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE"
You are my sunshine
My only sunshine
You make me happy
When skies are grey
You never know dear
How much I love you
So please don't take my sunshine away!
(substitute the word MOM and DAD or the teacher's
name for the word DEAR in the third last line)
There are more words to the song,
but this is a good length for younger children.
Printable version of these