DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Paper Bag Witch Puppet
This is a fun and easy cut and paste paper craft that uses a
paper bag as a base to make a puppet.
You can make a green witch or use different colors for a
purple, black or any other colored version if you feel like
- a paper lunch bag (white or brown
- green paint or green paper (or color of your choice if
you're making a different colored witch dress)
- a printer,
- some crayons,
Print the Template:
- Print out the template of choice (color or
- Colour (as required) and cut out the template pieces.
GET FAMILIAR WITH YOUR PAPER BAG:
- I'm going to walk through this slowly.
Look at your paper bag.
- It should be closed and flat like a piece
of paper. Just like when they are brand new.
- On one side, it's all smooth. This will
BACK of your puppet
- It's important that all the kids get
the back and front straight at the beginning!
- On the other side there's a flippy tab
(which is typically the bottom of the bag when you're carrying your
- This flippy tab will be the
- Lift the flippy tab up a bit. Underneath
of the tab will be the mouth,
- When the child puts her hand in the
bag, she'll be able to make the puppet talk.
- Look at the rest of the front of the bag.
(The 3/4 or so of the bag below the part with the flippy tab) This
will be the
- Look at the sides of the bag. There
should be a
- We'll be slipping the arms (template
2) into this flap.
- If the kids goof and glue the arms
onto the front or back of the bag, it isn't a big deal.
- OOK, now that we're comfy with our bags,
ASSEMBLING YOUR PUPPET:
- Green Witch: Cover the BODYand
BACK paper bag with green paper (just
glue it on and trim) or paint the paper bag green and let dry.
- Glue the mouth underneath the flippy tab so you can see a tiny part of it sticking out when the flap is closed.
- Glue the hat behind the HEAD.
- Glue the hair at the top of the HEAD.
- Glue the eyes onto the HEAD just
under the hair tuft. If you like, you can use wiggly eyes instead of the paper template pieces.
- Glue the eyebrows over the eyes.
- GGlue the nose under the eyes.
- Glue the arms into the FLAP.
- Glue the broom into one of the hands.
- Glue the stars onto the BODY.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Printable version of these instructions