Good for a number of costumes including pirate, prince.
Loose fitting gown with elastic around the neck.
- 45(55)60" x 45(55)55" fabric (light weight cotton blends work well).
- 1" seam binding
- thin elastic (1/4")
- Optional: ribbon, lace, beading, etc to decorate.
- Measure and cut out pieces according to the measurements below.
- Stitch sleeves to the body front and back.
- Stitch sides of the body.
- Stitch underarms.
- Pin seam binding around the neckline.
- Sew seam binding around the neck (notice that it's folded in half... make sure the opening stays wide enough for the elastic to fit through).
- Push elastic through the casing and sew the ends together. The amount of elastic you use depends on what you're comfortable with (I suggest you do this with the costume on).
- Hem the bottom of the shirt and sleeves.
- Optional: stitch ribbon or lace on to decorate (you can hot glue it on instead to save time).
- Optional: add seam binding and elastic around the arms at the wrist (about 1.5" from the hem) to make ruffled cuffs (cute with white fabric for a fancy pirate).