DLTK's Crafts for Kids
You Are My Sunshine Craft
I've had a lot of positive response from people about this craft. Although it was originally made for mother's day, here are some alternate
ideas I received from people who used the site:
- Father's Day gift
- gift from a sibling to a new baby (do it in front of the
grandparents/family and have plenty of kleenex available!)
- kindergarten graduation gift from children to their parents (at an
assembly or graduation tea)
- gift from children to their teacher when the school year is over or
when a teacher retires or leaves the school (have the teacher be the sun and all the
children be the flowers... make a single collage/card)
- Chris suggested this neat variation: Instead of magnets, paste
the sun with photo on the top of a piece of blue construction paper, then use
pieces of green
construction paper to make grass and a stem and leaves for the flower. Then write the you
are my sunshine verse on the paper. It turns out very nice.
The depressing thing about Mother's Day crafts is that I likely
won't get the ones I design and I really want my kids to think up something like this one
for me! Although meant to be a fridge magnet, if you don't have magnet backings,
don't worry about it too much. Use the craft for a card, make a collage/picture from
it or just as individual pictures to hang up. I'm sure mom will love it no matter
how the kids present it!
- something to colour with,
- Magnet backing.
- A photograph or hand drawn picture of mom's face and a photograph or
hand drawn picture of the child's face that will fit inside the circle of the flower and
the circle of the sun.
- To make the craft sturdier, you can paste the paper template onto a
piece of poster board or cardboard before cutting it out. (Whenever I need poster
board, I usually use the cardboard that comes out of nylon stocking packages).
"YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE"
You are my sunshine
My only sunshine
You make me happy
When skies are grey
You never know dear
How much I love you
So please don't take my sunshine away!
(substitute the word Mom or Grandma
for the word DEAR in the third last line)
There are more words to the song, but this is a good
length for younger children.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP in most browsers).
Printable version of these