DLTK's Crafts for Kids
© by Leanne Guenther
A simple construction paper 'hat' the kids have fun making, decorating and wearing!
- green construction paper.
- 2 pipe cleaners
- If using the template: printer and paper.
- Optional: stickers, markers, glitter or gel pens to decorate
- Print template of choice
- Color as necessary (if using the B&W version).
- Cut out the template pieces
- OR freehand cut 4 shamrocks from green construction paper (I did this and
just folded the paper over so one cut gave me all 4 shamrocks).
- Cut 2 or 3 strips of construction paper about 4" wide and as long as
you can make them
- Tape the pieces end to end to make a really long piece.
- Wrap around the child's head to measure how long you need and trim off the
excess (don't tape into a circle yet).
- Optional: Let the children decorate with stickers, markers, glitter
or gel pens. Kaitlyn used her big sister's gel pens (with permission
of course). You can't see very well in the photo but she loved it and
that's what counts!
- Wrap the pipecleaner around a pencil to make a 'spring' with
it. An adult can wrap the first couple loops and then hand it
over to the child to finish.
- Straighten about 1/2 inch of the top and bottom of the spring (so
it's easier to do the taping).
- Repeat with the other pipecleaner.
- Tape a shamrock onto the top of each pipecleaner. Flip over and glue
or tape the 3rd and 4th shamrock onto the back of the 1st and 2nd (to
sandwich the pipecleaner in between the shamrocks).
- Tape both pipecleaners to the long piece of construction paper so they
either sit at the front of the head or the sides of the head.
- Tape the construction paper ends together to form a crown and put it on!
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Printable version of these instructions