more crafts > [Leprechauns] [Pot of Gold] [Rainbows] [Shamrocks] [Wreaths] [Other]
We built our first trap out of a kleenex box. This version uses paper templates to make a box with an open bottom and a piece of 'gold' for the bait. We also have third version that uses a coffee can.
- something to color with (if using the B&W templates)
- small washer
- gold paint (we used acrylic paint) and paint brush
- white thread
- Print the two templates.
- If you print the B&W version then color the templates the way you like.
- Cut out each of the templates.
the smaller template piece, wrap it into a tube and glue the tab to
the inside of the opposite end.
- Fold each panel of the large template and then fold all four tabs. Glue each of the four tabs to the panel next to it.
- Once all four tabs have been glued to their panels you will have a box with an open bottom.
- Paint the washer gold and let dry.
- Tie a piece of thread to the washer.
- Tape the other end of the thread to the inside of the paper tube you created earlier.
- Prepare your trap the night before St. Patrick's Day!
- Set the tube on its end with the washer a few inches away.
- Set the box over top of the washer with an edge on top of the tube.
- Overnight, when the leprechaun goes for the gold and picks it up he
will pull the tube out from under the edge of the box causing the box to
fall and trap the leprechaun inside.
- Good luck!
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).