DLTK's Holiday Crafts for Kids
Remembrance or Veteran's Day Themed Cross Stitch Patterns
© by Leanne Guenther
A beginner cross stitch pattern for children to make for Remembrance
Day or Veteran's Day! The pattern works well as a bookmark
on 11 or 14 count aida cloth (though those counts are a bit harder
for the kids to use as the stitches are smaller). It also
makes a nice picture on plastic canvas or 6 count aida (terrific
The words on these projects require backstitching.
If you're just starting to learn cross stitch, you can skip
the words -- this ends up being a square shaped project
that makes a nice picture.
To learn more about cross stitching, check out our
Cross Stitch" directions.
When I do these projects with the girls, I encourage them fill
in the white backgrounds with white cross stitch instead of leaving
it unstitched. The long rows of single colored stitches are
terrific practice. But it's completely up to you! It
does make the project take a lot longer.
- embroidery floss (red, black and white)
- feel free to substitute colors!
- ex: green center on the poppy instead of black.
- Aida cloth with a low number (6 count Aida is 6 stitches per inch
while 10 count is 10 stitches per inch... The lower the number, the
bigger the project ends up being and the easier it is for a beginner
- plastic canvas.
- embroidery hoop (a must! unless you're using plastic canvas).
- needle (20 or 22 work well, but any that fit 3 strands of floss
- Print out the template of choice.
- Fold cloth in half and then in half again to find the center.
- Place hoop around cloth. Start as close to center as you can.
- Cut about 18 inch pieces of floss and divide in half (so you have
3 strands of floss to work with).
- Start cross stitching! To learn more about cross stitching,
check out our
"How to Cross
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Printable version of these instructions