DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Lest We Forget
Hanging or Magnet
Take advantage of the relaxing time spent coloring in the craft to discuss with the kids what the meanings of "Lest We Forget" and the poppy are at this time of year. Many soldiers
have served their countries and been injured or died during that service -- on November 11th, people in many countries around the world take a moment to remember the costs of war and the
sacrifice of the soldiers that serve their countries.
- Optionally, you can attach a magnet to the back to make
a fridge magnet or glue onto a piece of cardboard and attach
a piece of string to make a sturdy wall hanging. You can
also cover with mactac/clear contact paper to preserve longer.
- Print out the craft template of choice. If you're short on time, use the color version but I always prefer the black and white version so the kids can spend time coloring it in
- Cut out the template pieces. This step may require adult assistance
and can be done prior to making the craft with the children. You can let beginning scissor users cut out some of the easier pieces like the large rectangle while an adult or older
child helps with some of the tougher pieces like the banner.
- Paste the large poppy petals onto the rectangle and the small poppy
petals into the center of the large at a slight angle (see picture).
- Glue green center into the middle of the poppy.
- Glue "lest we forget" banner onto top or bottom.
- You can put a piece of yarn on the back to hang it.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).