DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Flower Cross Stitch Patterns
Contributed by Leanne Guenther
Three beginner cross stitch patterns for children to make for
any flower theme (Spring, Summer, May Day, etc)! The first
two patterns (flower and tulip with face) work well as a bookmark
on 11 or 14 count aida cloth (though those counts are a bit harder
for the kids to use as the stitches are smaller). They also
make nice pictures on plastic canvas or 6 count aida (terrific for
The third pattern (Butterfly/Tulip) is quite a bit more complicated (bigger project) though still a beginner level.
To learn more about cross stitching, check out our "How to Cross Stitch" directions.
When I do these projects with the girls,
I encourage them fill in the white backgrounds with white cross stitch instead of leaving
it unstitched. The long rows of single colored stitches are
terrific practice. But it's completely up to you! It
does make the project take a lot longer.
- embroidery floss (see the template for recommendations for the colors
- feel free to substitute colors!
- If your child wants an orange flower don't get stuck...
just substitute orange floss for the pink.
- If you have left over floss lying around you can use that
too (ex: black for the mouth instead of purple).
- Aida cloth with a low number (6 count Aida is 6 stitches per inch
while 10 count is 10 stitches per inch... The lower the number, the
bigger the project ends up being and the easier it is for a beginner
- plastic canvas.
- embroidery hoop (a must! unless you're using plastic canvas).
- needle (20 or 22 work well, but any that fit 3 strands of floss
- Print out the template of choice (we have two different templates to choose from).
- Fold cloth in half and then in half again to find the center.
- Place hoop around cloth. Start as close to center as you can.
- Cut about 18 inch pieces of floss and divide in half (so you have
3 strands of floss to work with).
- Start cross stitching! To learn more about cross stitching,
check out our
"How to Cross
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Printable version of these instructions