This is a simple paper craft that children can make to decorate their bedrooms or play areas. You can string the pieces up to make a mobile in many different ways (my favorite is using a paper towel roll that I've painted or covered in paper).
- Print out the template. (Make sure your page margins are set to zero).
- Colour pieces, as necessary.
- Cut out the pieces and use scissors, hole punch or needle to poke holes where indicated on each piece. This step may require adult assistance.
- Fold each template piece in half and glue together. The back and front of each piece should now look identical (unless you coloured them differently!).
- If using a gift wrap roll, cut it down a bit to the appropriate length (about the length of a coat hanger.
- Using one medium length of yarn, attach the yellow sun to the center of the roll or hanger. Using two short lengths of yarn, attach the red strawberry and red rose to the roll or hanger (on either side of the sun). Using two long lengths of yarn, attach the blue bird and blue dragon fly to the roll or hanger at the ends.
- If using a roll (gift wrap or paper towel) thread another piece of yarn through the center of the roll and tie the ends together. This yarn will be used to hang the mobile up.
- Take the time with your child to learn a few things:
- Have them sort the pieces of yarn into short, medium and long.
- Have them identify what is similar about the pieces...
- The rose and strawberry are both red and both plants.
- The dragonfly and bird are both blue and both animals
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).