DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Thanksgiving Lacing Crafts
Lacing projects are a great craft for preschoolers and kindergarten children to complete during any holiday. The lacing gives them fine motor skill practice and practice tying knots and bows
- wool or ribbon,
- single hole punch,
- card stock, poster board or construction paper.
- ADULT: print template of choice or make your own.
- ADULT: Trace onto a thick piece of cardboard (cardboard backs
from paper pads or old cereal boxes work well).
- ADULT: Cut out this template.
- Allow the children to trace the template onto a piece of card stock
or poster board (or construction paper... Though I prefer the thicker
card stock for lacing projects).
OR have an adult do this
prior to craft time.
- Allow the children to cut out their card stock shapes
an adult do this prior to craft time.
- Allow the children to make holes around their shape (about an inch
or two apart)
OR have an adult do this prior to craft time.
- Provide the children with a length of wool or ribbon.
- You can wrap some scotch tape around the end of the wool to
make it more like a shoe lace.
- Have the child thread the wool through the holes.
- Practice tying knots and/or bows to tie off in the center.
- Optional: Let the children use glitter, paint or stickers
to further decorate their completed project.
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Specific Instructions PLUS Templates:
|Cornucopia: lace with a simple
running stitch in a circle to make the opening of the cornucopia.
Use a blanket stitch or running stitch to stitch around the
"horn" of the cornucopia. Tie a bow at the top of the
opening. White, brown, grey, yellow or black wool or ribbon
would be nice.
Optional: Cut photos of fruits and vegetables
from grocery advertisements and glue them onto your cornucopia.
|Drumstick: lace with any type of
stitch around the meaty part of the drumstick (running stitch
or blanket stitch would both be nice) . Tie a bow where
the bone is. White, brown, yellow or black wool or ribbon
would be nice.
|Pumpkin: lace with any type of
stitch around the outside (running stitch or blanket stitch
would both be nice). Tie a bow at the top. White,
brown, green, orange or black wool or ribbon would be nice.
Printable version of these instructions