This is a really fun and adorable paper plate teddy bear craft that preschoolers and kindergarten kids can make to suite a Valentine's day theme or just for fun!
The simple heart shapes are a great way to improve those scissor skills as well.
Tip 1: Include the message "I love you bear-y much!"
Tip 2: Purchase fancy paper from the scrapbooking store and print the B&W version onto this for an extra fancy teddy bear.
Tip 3: Cut out holes instead of eyes and scotch tape a straw or popsicle stick to the bottom to make a teddy bear mask.
- paper plate,
- brown paint,
- something to color with, if you chose the B&W template
- Paint the bottom of the paper plate brown.
- Print out the template of choice. You need both templates to make one bear.
- Color (if making the black and white craft).
- Cut out the template pieces. (You can use the finished image in the bottom right of the first template to figure out which pieces belong where on the paper plate).
- Glue the pieces on the paper plate:
Glue the mouth of the bear onto the bottom of the paper plate.
Glue the heart shaped nose onto the mouth, just above the line.
Glue the eyes above the nose and mouth.
Glue the two ears onto the top corners of the paper plate.
You can choose to glue the bowtie onto the bottom of the plate, below the mouth, or onto the top of the plate, between the ears.
Option for mass-producing - young children: Print out the B&W template. Trace the pieces onto stiff cardboard (back of paper pads works well) or margarine/ice cream container lids. Cut out to make permanent templates. Allow the children to trace these permanent templates onto different colors of construction paper and then glue their special pieces onto the paper plate.
Option for mass-producing - older children: Omit the templates. Let the children cut out heart shapes in various sizes from colored construction paper (show them how to fold paper in half and then cut to make a perfectly symmetrical heart). Let the children create their own animals by putting together hearts of different sizes (you can pre-make a few example animals to give them some inspiration). This allows them to use their creativity!
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).