DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Bear Box for Valentine's Cards
You can replicate the same type of craft using craft foam by tracing the template pieces onto foam and drawing on a few of the details.
It turns out really cute just with paper though -- the directions assume you'll be doing it just with paper
- small empty box (we use kleenex boxes and shoe boxes)
- construction paper
- Optional: thin cardboard (empty cereal boxes work well)
- Optional: large wiggly eyes
- Print out the template of choice and color them as appropriate.
- NOTE: You can omit printing the third template and just cut a construction paper heart.
- Wrap the empty box up with construction paper (or gift wrap) in an appropriate
color (white, pink, brown and red would all work).
- Cut a slit in the top of the box large enough to fit Valentine's Day cards in the top.
- NOTE: You could also just cut the entire top off the box or use a no-top box like a shoe box.
- Optional: Glue the templates to pieces of thin cardboard and let dry
- Cut out the template pieces.
- Print the child's name on the large heart (template 3)
- Glue pieces together:
- Head shape (large oval on Template 1) should go on shoulders (Template 2)
- Glue small red hearts into the center of the ears.
- Glue the eyes onto the head.
- Glue the smaller oval "muzzle" (Template 2) onto the head.
- Glue the red heart nose onto the muzzle.
- Glue the bow as a bowtie below the muzzle or as a hair bow to one of the ears
- Glue the whole body onto the back of the box, facing over the top (so
it looks like he's sitting behind the box, holding it... See picture at
the top of this page if you don't understand).
- Glue the large heart (template 3) onto the front of the box
- Glue the paws to the front of the box, overlapping the heart slightly.
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one
page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Printable version of these instructions