This is a simple three dimensional paper elephant that will hold a piece of candy standing up on a table or flattened slightly on a card.
You can use cardstock or a heavier paper to make the body (just trace the template) but, in my opinion, regular paper or construction paper works best for the head and tummy. I find cardstock can be too inflexible for three dimensional crafts. If you do make the body from cardstock, a glue gun would be a sturdier choice than school glue for making the cone shape.
- school glue and/or tape
- pixie stick, sucker or lollipop
Directions - three dimensional craft:
- Print out the Valentine's Day template of choice.
- Color the elephant pieces (if using the black and white version).
- Cut out the template pieces.
- Where the hands join, there are two thin lines to snip -- this step may require adult assistance. This will be where you thread the candy through. The template pieces have a large enough snip for a lollipop, sucker or pixie stick. If you're using something larger (a stick of gum or whatnot), you may need to snip a bit more.
- Roll the elephant's body (don't fold) and tape or glue along the back seam.
- Glue the ears onto the head.
- Glue the elephant's head onto the body.
- Glue the tummy onto the body.
- Optional: If your candy is heavy (like the lollipop), roll the tab on the back of the body and tape or glue. Slide a small chocolate bar, roll of mints or rock into this tab to provide a counterweight (so your bunny doesn't tip over). Otherwise, just cut off this tab.
- When your elephant craft is dry, slide your pixie stick or sucker into hands.
Directions - Card:
If you'd like to turn this into a slightly 3D card instead of a standing craft, follow these directions:
- Make the elephant craft as indicated above, but cut off the tab at the back (the one you use as a counterweight in the standing version).
- Take a sheet of construction paper and lay it on the table.
- Lay the elephant on its back on the construction paper.
- Fold down the elephant's feet and arms so they are creased (folded) but don't glue them down. This allows them to flop around a bit and stay looking 3D.
- Decorate the rest of your card as you like with construction paper hearts, stickers and/or a Valentine's Day message like "I'll never forget you!"
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).