DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Candy Elephant Paper Craft
Contributed by Leanne Guenther
This is a simple three dimensional paper elephant that will hold a piece of candy standing up on a table or
flattened slightly on a card.
You can use cardstock or a heavier paper to make
the body (just trace the template) but, in my opinion, regular
paper or construction paper works best for the head and tummy.
I find cardstock can be too inflexible for three dimensional
crafts. If you do make the body from cardstock, a glue gun
would be a sturdier choice than school glue for making the cone
- school glue and/or tape
- pixie stick, sucker or lollipop
Directions - three dimensional craft:
- Print out the Valentine's Day template of choice.
- Color the elephant pieces (if using the black and white version).
- Cut out the template pieces.
- Where the hands join, there are two thin lines to snip -- this
step may require adult assistance. This will be where you
thread the candy through. The template pieces have a large
enough snip for a lollipop, sucker or pixie stick. If you're
using something larger (a stick of gum or whatnot), you may need to
snip a bit more.
- Roll the elephant's body (don't fold) and tape or glue along the back seam.
- Glue the ears onto the head.
- Glue the elephant's head onto the body.
- Glue the tummy onto the body.
- Optional: If your candy is heavy (like the lollipop), roll
the tab on the back of the body and tape or glue. Slide a
small chocolate bar, roll of mints or rock into this tab to provide
a counterweight (so your bunny doesn't tip over). Otherwise,
just cut off this tab.
- When your elephant craft is dry, slide your pixie stick or sucker
Directions - Card:
If you'd like to turn this into a slightly 3D card instead of a standing craft, follow these directions:
- Make the elephant craft as indicated above, but cut off the tab
at the back (the one you use as a counterweight in the
- Take a sheet of construction paper and lay it on the
- Lay the elephant on its back on the construction paper.
- Fold down the elephant's feet and arms so they are creased
(folded) but don't glue them down. This allows them to
flop around a bit and stay looking 3D.
- Decorate the rest of your card as you like with construction paper hearts, stickers and/or a Valentine's Day message like "I'll never forget you!"
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Candy Elephant template
Printable version of these instructions