DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Paper Plate Valentine's Day Card Holder
This simple project is simple for young children
but can still be used with older children as practice for different
NOTE: If you want a super quick and easy project,
just staple the plates together instead of lacing them and let the
kids glue on the hearts. You'll be done in 5 minutes or less.
- paper or construction paper
- hole punch
- two paper plates (small or large would work though you
might have to cut the template pieces a bit smaller if you use small
- wool, string or ribbon in a nice Valentine's Day color
- bull clips or masking tape (for holding the plates together)
- Optional: paint (pink, red or purple would be
- Print out the template of choice and color them as appropriate.
(or you can free hand cut out hearts from construction paper).
- cut one paper plate in half.
- Optional: paint the bottom of the half plate and/or
the inside of the whole plate.
- put the plates together so the rims are touching (so it
makes a pouch).
- Use bull clips or masking tape to temporarily hold the plates
- with a hole punch, punch holes all the way around the edge
of the half plate, but through both plates.
- Tie wool in a knot around the first hole.
- with the wool, "lace" the half plate to the full plate.
(you can "sew" the plates together using any stitch you like)
-- I have a simple whip stitch pictured, but you could do a
running stitch or a blanket stitch.
- Glue template pieces onto the plates (or cut out your own
free hand shapes or use stickers).
- Hang on the wall or bulletin board and insert Valentines!
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Printable version of these instructions