DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Valentine's Day Butterfly Craft
Contributed by Leanne Guenther
You can seal the bottom the this cardboard tube craft (just
glue on a circle of paper). Then fill it with cinnamon hearts
(or other candies) and seal to top. What a cool way
to give a Valentine's treat to a friend!
- toilet paper roll or cardboard tube (if using a tp roll, don't use the craft as a holder for candies),
- a printer,
- something to color with (if you've opted for the B&W version).
- Print out the Valentine's Day template of choice.
- Colour (where appropriate) and cut out the template pieces.
- Glue the large rectangular piece on first to cover the tube.
- Glue on the head and the six hands (have the children count the
hands. Butterflies have 6 legs).
- Color and cut the wings template (you'll need to print two)
- Glue the hearts together (biggest to smallest).
- Have your child sort biggest to smallest as an educational activity
(for 3 year olds).
- If you are precutting everything, you may prefer to cut out
your own hearts from construction paper instead of using the wings
template (it's quicker to fold construction paper and cut than it
is to cut out the templates). But if you're giving your child
practice with scissors, then the templates are great.
- Glue the wings onto the back of the tp roll.
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Butterfly wings template (print 2)
Printable version of these instructions