more Valentine Crafts: [Animals] [Bible] [Candy] [Card Holders] [Educational] [Hearts] [Other] [Wreaths]
Beginner cross stitch patterns for children to make for Valentine's Day! The patterns would make a cute mini pillow on 6 count aida -- just cut a piece of matching fabric to the same size as the finished project, sew together and stuff -- add a little bit of cinnamon and/or clove to the stuffing to give it a nice scent.
It also makes a nice picture on plastic canvas or 6 count aida (terrific for beginners!).
The words on the first project require backstitching. If you're just starting to learn cross stitch, you can skip the words.
To learn more about cross stitching (including ideas on how to turn projects into bookmarks, pillows or pictures), check out our "How to Cross Stitch" directions.
When I do these projects with the girls, I encourage them fill in the backgrounds with cross stitch instead of leaving it unstitched. The long rows of single colored stitches are terrific practice. But it's completely up to you! It does make the project take a lot longer.
- embroidery floss: two shades of pink for the template plus white or black for the background.
- Aida cloth with a low number (6 count Aida is 6 stitches per inch
while 10 count is 10 stitches per inch... The lower the number, the
bigger the project ends up being and the easier it is for a beginner
- plastic canvas.
- embroidery hoop (a must! unless you're using plastic canvas).
- needle (20 or 22 work well, but any that fit 3 strands of floss will do)
- Print out the Valentine's Day template of choice.
- fold cloth in half and then in half again to find the center.
- Place hoop around cloth. Start as close to center as you can.
- Cut about 18 inch pieces of floss and divide in half (so you have 3 strands of floss to work with).
- Start cross stitching! To learn more about cross stitching, check out our "How to Cross Stitch" directions.
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).