crafts > [Advent] [Angels] [Gifts] [Ornaments] [Other] [Reindeer] [Religious] [Santa and Elves] [Trees] [Wreaths]
DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Angel Pencil or Coin Holder
This angel craft is a great change holder if you're saving for a charity (it makes it that much more fun when an angel is guarding the gift). You can also use it as a pencil holder... we're making them as gifts this year.
The photo doesn't do it justice!
- empty frozen juice container
- empty soup can (no sharp edges)
- white paper,
- cotton balls or cotton stuffing
- black marker or paint
- hair-colored wool
- Optional: gold ribbon or cord
- Optional: paper mache paste (1 part flour to 5 parts water... boil about 3 minutes and let cool)
+ strips of newspaper and white paper
- EASY (Age 3+): Glue a piece of white paper onto the can.
- HARDER (Age 6+): To make this project more fun for older children, paper mache the can (cover with 2 layers newspaper + one
layer white paper).
- Let dry (takes about a day for the paper mache to dry)
- Print the template for the wings (or cut your own out freehand).
- Cut out the template pieces
- Cover with glue and put on pieces of cotton (you could substitute
white feathers if you preferred, but cottons usually more available).
- You can glue the wings onto a piece of cardboard (old cereal boxes)
before you cut them out to make them sturdier if you wish. (we didn't
- Glue the wings onto the back of the can (don't glue them too low...
make sure the can can still stand up properly)
- Take wool and wrap it around your hand or a 31/2 inch diskette
loosely about 10 times (hand makes shorter hair than a diskette
- Remove the bundle and tie it at the "top" with a piece of
- Snip the bottom ends so it's long like hair and glue it at the side
of the head.
- Glue the hair to the side of the angel's head.
- Make another identical bundle and glue it to the other side.
- Make a third bundle, this time wrapping about 20 times around 2
fingers instead of your whole hand. Don't tie or snip this
bundle. Fluff it out and glue it along the top of the can as
- Optional: Tie a piece of gold cord in a circle and glue it
onto the hair (we added a piece of tape at the back for extra support.
- Optional: Tie a gold ribbon around the bottom in a bow.
- Using marker or paint, draw a face on the angel (we made closed eyes
and an open mouth so she looked like she was singing, but you can do
it any way you like).
- Younger kids may prefer to glue on wiggly eyes (or make paper eyes with white paper and a
marker), a pompom or sequin nose and a felt or paper mouth as they
won't be able to draw a face on very well.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).