crafts > [Advent] [Angels] [Gifts] [Ornaments] [Other] [Reindeer] [Religious] [Santa and Elves] [Trees] [Wreaths]
This angel craft is a good gift for young children to make for grandma. Ages 2+ can help with the wings. My 6 year old daughter easily completed the rest.
Warn the recipient not to get the outsides of the container wet (if you want to protect the outsides, you can spray on varnish).
- empty glass juice container
- paper mache paste (1 part flour to 5 parts water... boil about 3 minutes and let cool)
+ strips of newspaper and white paper.
- cotton balls or cotton stuffing
- yellow tempra paint or food colour drops
- black marker or paint
- Optional: gold ribbon or cord
- Paper mache the jar (cover with 2 layers newspaper with one layer white paper over top of that).
- Let dry (takes about a day for the paper mache to dry)
- Print the template for the wings (or cut your own out freehand).
- Cut out the template pieces
- Cover with glue and put on pieces of cotton (you could substitute white feathers if you preferred, but cottons usually more available).
- You can glue the wings onto a piece of cardboard (old cereal boxes) before you cut them out to make them sturdier if you wish. (we didn't do this).
- Glue the wings onto the back of the jar (don't glue them too low... make sure the can can still stand up properly)
- Put some cotton in a glass container (about 3 balls).
- Squeeze in one drop of paint or food colour.
- Add about 2 Tbsp of water and mix it into the cotton with a spoon or your fingers.
- Rinse out with a little bit of water if there's too much colour.
- Let dry.
- Stretch it out and glue to the top of the container
- Using marker or paint, draw a face on the angel and a dress (Tasha also drew on hands).
- Younger kids may prefer to glue on wiggly eyes (or make paper eyes with white paper and a marker), a pompom or sequin nose and a felt or paper mouth as they won't be able to draw a face on very well.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).