DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Norwegian Christmas Ornament
These cute little heart shaped baskets are filled with small candies and hung on the tree in Norway.
- two different colors of paper (gift wrap or construction paper
- Stack the two pieces of paper on top of one another and fold them
- Cut a large U shape (so the straight part of the U is at the fold).
- Unfold and make sure they look right.
- Refold and hold in a heart shape to ensure you're happy with the
shape. Trim a bit if needed.
- While still folded and stacked together, cut two slits starting at
the straight edge running about 2/3 of the way up the U shape.
- To sort out how far up to cut, imagine your U shape is a square
with a half circle on top. Cut up to where the half circle
- Now it gets a bit complicated:
- Take the red and "open" the top loop. Take the blue and stick the first end down inside the top red loop.
- Now (on the same end) open the blue loop and stick the second
red loop partially through.
- Stick the blue end through the last red loop.
- Keep weaving the loops together to form the heart shape.
- Fill with candy and tape a ribbon or paper handle on to hang
it on the tree if you like.
Printable version of these instructions