This is a fun and simple easter themed craft that involves lots of colours. These Easter eggs are a great way for children to practice their scissor skills. Children can choose to make lovely patterns or they can be as random and creative as they'd like.
These Kandinsky Easter Eggs are based on a famous painting by the Russian artist Wassily Kandinsky. He painted many great paintings, but is especially well known for his purely abstract painting "Squares with Concentric Circles". With this Concentric Circles themed craft, children can have lots of fun creating their own art using paper and colours.
We made this craft to be easter themed with an easter egg in the center instead of circles. However, children can choose many different shapes for this craft, like simple triangles or more complicated stars and hearts.
- construction paper, gift wrap or scrapbooking paper in at least three different colors or patterns,
- glue stick or white school glue (the glue stick is a bit less messy to work with)
- Print the easter egg template or draw an egg free-hand. If you're working with a group of kids you can make a cardboard template or two that they can take turns tracing onto pieces of white paper.
- Trace the egg template onto a coloured piece of paper. Cut out the egg.
- Glue the colorful egg onto a different coloured piece of paper. Then, cut around the egg, leaving a border of the new color.
- Continue to glue and cut the egg until you have several layers of colors.
- Finally, glue the colorful Kandinsky egg onto a piece of square colored paper.
- If you're doing this craft by yourself, you can make several squares and tape the finished projects together. I chose to make four different squares to make a larger paper craft.
- If you are doing this craft with a class, you can let each child make their own square and then make a larger finished project by taping all of the children's squares together.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).