These simple vocabulary word lists tie to our various Autumn worksheets.
The advanced word list includes all of the words on the easy one plus a few extra challenging words. It is also presented in a smaller font.
Ideas for using the word list:
- Use as vocabulary words for some autumn season spelling practice.
- Have the children work in groups to research and discuss the meaning of the words on the word list, then create individual journals (mini dictionaries) with definitions and an example sentence for each word.
- Have the children chose one of the words and draw a picture inspired by that word
- Have the children write an autumn poem or short story using words from the word list.
- Have the children categorize the words by the parts of speech. You can also add additional words that aren't part of the word list but relate to the word list words (for example, you
can add "young" to the adjectives as in 'young squirrel'). The parts of speech are:
- conjunction, or
- After chatting about the fall and what everyone enjoys about it, have the children make their own list of words they would like to learn more about. Having children come up with one “What in
the World? Word” each time they read a story or discuss a new theme is a great way to build vocabulary.