DLTK's Holiday Crafts for Kids
Paper Plate Alien Monster Craft
This alien monster craft uses a printable template and a paper plate to make a Halloween craft or mask.
If you cut out holes instead of using the template eyes, you can convert your alien monster craft to an alien monster mask. Attach a paint stir stick or tongue depressor to allow your child to hold it up to their face.
- paper plate,
- blue-green paint and paint brush,
- something to color with (or color printer).
- Optional: You can substitute large wiggly eyes for the template eyes.
- OPTIONAL FOR MASK: Paint Stir Stick, thin strip of wood or Tongue Depressor.
- Paint the bottom of the paper plate blue-green.
- Print out the craft template of choice.
- Colour (where appropriate) and cut out the template pieces. Most of the pieces are simple enough shapes for young children to cut out, but if needed, an adult can help with some of the harder pieces (the ears and the hair).
- Glue the pieces to the plate to make an alien monster face:
- Glue the hat on the top of the paper plate.
- Glue the two pieces of hair on either side of the hat.
- Glue the ears onto either side of the plate.
- Glue the mouth at the bottom of the plate.
- Glue the nose just above the mouth.
- Glue two of the eyes just above the nose (or cut out holes for eyes in a mask).
- Glue the last eye just above the other two.
- Optional: If making a mask, use masking tape or duct tape to attach a thin strip of wood, a tongue depressor or a paint stir stick (often free at paint supply and home repair stores -- no more than $1 -- we get dad to pick one up now and then when he's at home depot admiring the tools *grin*).
Template 1: (color) or (B&W)
Template 2: (color) or (B&W)
Printable version of these instructions