- butterfly templates
- colored tissue paper
- pipe cleaners
- string (optional)
- popsicle sticks (optional)
- paint (optional)
- Start by cutting out each butterfly. I used two colors per butterfly for this. If you want to cut your own butterfly shapes rather than use the templates we have provided, be sure to cut one color of tissue paper a little bit smaller than the other color of tissue paper.
- Take the smaller tissue paper color and glue it onto the larger piece that matches in shape.
- Next, take your pipe cleaner and fold it in half, over the centre of the butterfly.
- You can choose to scrunch up the tissue paper or leave it the way it is. Twist the tops of the pipe cleaners together to create the antennas of the butterfly.
Here, you can finish your butterflies off, or you can follow the next couple steps to create a hanging butterfly mobile!
- Tape pieces of string to the back of your butterflies. You can make the string different lengths depending on how you want your mobile to look.
- Take 3 popsicle sticks (I painted mine black, but you can paint them in a different way or keep them plain). Glue 2 of the popsicle sticks to the ends of the third one, and let it dry.
- Tie butterflies (you may create as many as you want!) onto each end of your popsicle mobile and glue the string down to keep it extra secure.
- Tie one last string to the centre of the popsicle, and hang it up anywhere you'd like! Once you have done this, your hanging butterfly mobile is finished! Enjoy!
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).