DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Easy Paper Plate Pilgrim Craft
Younger children will find this paper plate pilgrim easier to make than the tp roll version (great if you have two kids of different skill levels!).
- paper plate,
- Optional: You can also use bits of yarn for the hair.
- Print out the template of choice or cut out the pieces on your own (we used the template face, but cut out our own hat).
- Paint your plate skin color. Before you go looking for skin color paint, remember that it's LOTS of fun for the kids to mix their own colors.
- Take a smidge of red, about 2 to 3 times as much yellow and a whole lot of white and you'll end up with a nice flesh tone. Remember that it dries a bit darker than the wet.
- Try to guess what color it will make before mixing... Ask questions like (red + yellow = ?) (will it get lighter or darker when we add white?).
- Let your plate dry.
- Color and cut out your template pieces.
- Glue the face template pieces onto the plate.
- Optional: Glue yarn onto the top of the plate so it's right over the eyes.
- Glue the hat on top of the yarn (hair) and the plate.
- Glue the tie under the chin.
- Alternative: You could leave off the eyes and cut holes instead. Attach a popsicle stick or unsharpened pencil to the bottom with tape and use it as a pilgrim mask to hold in front of the face.
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Hat Template (color) or (B&W)
Face Template (color) or (B&W)
Printable version of these instructions