DLTK's Holiday Activities
Egg Carton Roses Poster Craft
Contributed by Kaitlyn Guenther
Do you have a box full of left over egg cartons that you can't figure out how to use up? Try making these adorable egg carton roses. This adorable craft uses the roses to make a poster-type card that can suit a Valentine's day, Mother's day, or Spring Flower theme.
I love these egg carton roses because they are fun and easy to make, plus you can do so many different things with them. Try gluing them around a picture frame or mirror for a really cute household decoration.
- Valentine's color paint like pink, purple or red,
- green paint,
- paint brush,
- egg carton,
- piece of paper, cardstock, or cardboard,
- Paint the inside of the the egg carton with Valentine's day colours.
- Get as creative as you want with this! You can create a pattern, use a sponge to give it texture, try splattering the paint, or any other fun painting ideas.
- You don't have to paint it perfectly either, the roses look great with a bit of abstract painting. *giggle*
- Cut a few lengths of cardboard from the lid of the egg carton
- They should be about 3" - 4" long and 1/2" wide.
- For one rose you will need two egg carton cups (cut out) and one of the strips.
- For the rose petals, cut four slits down the side of each egg carton cups.
- You can also trim around the tops of the "petals" to make them the shape that you want.
- Curl the strip of egg carton lid up into a tight spiral with the painted side facing outward.
- Use glue to secure the layers of the rose: the two egg cup petal layers and the spiral.
- Hot glue will make this process faster but requires adult assitance or supervision. Kids can use school glue on their own and wait for the roses to dry.
- While the roses dry use green paint to creat a handprint near the bottom of a piece of paper, cardstock, or a piece of cardboard.
- If you use a thicker piece of paper or a piece of cardboard, the poster will do a better job of supporting the egg carton roses.
- Write a little message at the top of the page.
- Glue the egg carton roses around the hand print so that it creates a cute bouquet!
Printable version of these instructions