This cute paper plate cow craft and the other paper plate heart animals are a fun way to decorate the kindergarten classroom for Valentine's Day.
Tip 1: Include a cute Valentine's message on the back of the paper plate -- something like "You are udder-ly wonderful!"
Tip 2: Purchase fancy paper from the scrapbooking store and print the B&W version onto this for an extra fancy cow
Tip 3: Cut out holes instead of eyes and scotch tape a straw or popsicle stick to the bottom to make a cow mask.
- white paper plate,
- something to color with, if you chose the B&W template
- Print out the template of choice. You need both templates to make one cow.
- Color (if making the black and white craft).
- Cut out the template pieces. (You can use the finished image in the bottom right of the first template to figure out which pieces belong where on the paper plate).
- Glue the pieces on the paper plate:
Glue the mouth of the cow onto the bottom of the paper plate.
Glue the two heart shaped nostrils above the mouth, on the large nose.
Glue the large black heart above the nose and mouth, towards one side of the plate.
Glue the eyes above the nose and mouth. One of the eyes will be over the large black heart.
Glue the heart shaped ears sticking out the sides of the paper plate.
Glue the heart shaped horns sticking out the top of the paper plate, with the bottom of the heart sticking up like a point.
Option for mass-producing - young children: Print out the B&W template. Trace the pieces onto stiff cardboard (back of paper pads works well) or margarine/ice cream container lids. Cut out to make permanent templates. Allow the children to trace these permanent templates onto different colors of construction paper and then glue their special pieces onto the paper plate.
Option for mass-producing - older children: Omit the templates. Let the children cut out heart shapes in various sizes from colored construction paper (show them how to fold paper in half and then cut to make a perfectly symmetrical heart). Let the children create their own animals by putting together hearts of different sizes (you can pre-make a few example animals to give them some inspiration). This allows them to use their creativity!
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).