DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Jack O'Lantern Treat Bag
Contributed by Leanne Guenther
Fill with treats to give to the guests after a Halloween party or use it to hold a "hostess gift" for the person hosting the party.
You will need: something to colour with, scissors, glue, and paper (I prefer construction paper as it's a bit sturdier. I just chop it down a bit to fit in my printer).
Optional: green pipe cleaner, string, wool or ribbon.
- Print out the template of choice. There is a choice between a LARGE
bag and a SMALL bag. Before you mass produce, you might want to make
one of each to see which you prefer.
- If printing the B&W template, print it on orange construction paper to
save coloring time and make a sturdier project. Then just color in the
pumpkin face with black marker!
- You can also take 8 1/2 x 11 inch sheets to your local copy shop and have
them blown up to 11 x 17 for about 50 cents per page. The paper they
use is typically a bit sturdier than the normal printer paper.
- Cut out the template along the outside lines. Cut along the dotted lines (this will be the bag's bottom. Younger kids may
need help with this (it can be pre-done prior to colouring).
- You need two large bag templates to make one large bag.
- Place both of the cut out templates before you, face up.
- Glue the template on the right onto the glue tab of the template on the left.
- You should now have one long piece of paper.
- See diagram to the right if you're confused.
- Continue on as if you were making a small bag (the directions are
the same from here on).
- Imagine a line extending up from the dotted lines
you cut. Fold along these imaginary lines, fold the GLUE tab and fold up the tabs
for the bag's bottom
- Put glue on the glue tab (or tape) and glue it to
the inside of the bag.
- Put glue on the tabs for the bags bottom and
carefully press together.
- Attach a piece of green pipe cleaner, string, wool or ribbon to make
a handle (or cut a piece of green construction paper for the handle).
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
LARGE BAG TEMPLATE (print 2) (color)
SMALL BAG TEMPLATE (color)
Printable version of these instructions