DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Pet Rock Grad Craft
Contributed by Leanne Guenther
Include with a little note like "Kindergarten Rocks!" or
- medium sized rock
- wiggly eyes
- Optional: fun foam (for feet).
- egg carton cup
- cardboard or poster board
- poster paint (tempra paint) in an appropriate color (school colors).
- Paint brush
- Optional: wool in an appropriate color (school colors)
- When choosing your rock, imagine what an egg carton cup cap will look like
on top of it and pick a rock that's big enough to add eyes and the
cap. Ours was about the size of a baseball, but an oval shape.
- Brush dust off the rock with a rag.
- Paint rock in an appropriate color... personally, I'd make it a
contrasting color from the cap so it shows up better, but my 5 year old
wanted it the same color and who am I to argue *grin* (I always have
to resist the temptation to be too controlling at craft time!).
- Let dry.
- Prepare your cap (see below) and glue it to the top of your pet rock.
- Glue on wiggly eyes.
- Optional: Cut out feet shapes from fun foam and glue to bottom of
rock. I couldn't do a template for this as the rocks will be all
different shapes and sizes, but feet can be shaped something like:
Make egg carton grad cap for your pet rock
- Cut a 5" square from cardboard or poster board (adult help may be
needed for this step).
- Cut one cup from an egg carton (adult help may be needed for this step).
- Paint egg carton and both sides of cardboard in color of your choice.
- Let dry.
- Position egg carton upside down and glue cardboard on the top.
- Optional: Make a tassel with wool:
- wrap a piece of wool around three fingers or so or a
piece of cardboard 5 to 10 times (we're making a small tassel).
- Tie a long piece of wool (about 6") through the loop.
- remove wool from base and tie a piece of wool around the
loop you've made about 1/4" down from the top.
- Snip the ends at the bottom to form the tassel.
- Staple or tape the tassel to the cap
Printable version of these