DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Coffee Can Pilgrim Hat
If you decide to cut a slit in the lid of the coffee can you might use it to
collect spare change at thanksgiving for your favourite charity.
We like to use acrylic paint for most of our projects. It is fairly
easy to find and inexpensive – we usually buy ours from the dollar store
in the neighbourhood but we also sometimes get it at the craft store or
I like that it comes in small containers in a zillion colors so
I can shop for the colors I need for each project without feeling guilty
about waste. Acrylic paint is waterproof so it can sit outside. It is
cleanable if you wipe it up while it’s still wet. It dries fairly
quickly so children don’t end up sitting around waiting for the various
stages of the project.
- clean coffee can with a lid
- black and orange paint
- paint brush
- black and yellow construction paper
Cut a small slit in the middle of the lid if you would like to use your
pilgrim hat to collect spare change.
- Paint the bottom inch or two of the can orange.
- Let dry.
- Put the lid on the can and paint the can black but
leaving a ring at the bottom orange.
Cut a black circle out of construction paper. We used a plate to
trace the circle first. Glue this circle to the bottom of the can to
make a brim for the hat.
a square with rounded corners out of a piece of yellow construction paper.
The yellow square should be a little bigger than the orange stripe at the
bottom of the can.
- Cut a slightly smaller square with rounded corners out of black
- Cut a small notch out of the side of the black square so it looks like
a "C". (See picture)
- Glue the notched black square on the yellow square and glue the yellow
square to the hat to look like a buckle. (See finished photo above.)
Printable version of these instructions