DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Easy Paper Plate Pilgrim Craft
© by Leanne Guenther
Younger children will find this easier to make than the tp
roll version (great if you have two kids of different skill levels!).
- paper plate,
- Optional: You can also use bits of yarn for the hair.
- Print out the template of choice or cut out the pieces on your own
(we used the template face, but cut out our own hat).
- Paint your plate skin color. Before you go looking for skin
color paint, remember that it's LOTS of fun for the kids to mix their
- Take a smidge of red, about 2 to 3 times as much yellow and a whole
lot of white and you'll end up with a nice flesh tone. Remember
that it dries a bit darker than the wet.
- Try to guess what color it will make before mixing... ask questions
like (red + yellow = ?) (will it get lighter or darker when we
- Let your plate dry.
- Color and cut out your template pieces.
- Glue the face template pieces onto the plate.
- Optional: Glue yarn onto the top of the plate so it's right
over the eyes.
- Glue the hat on top of the yarn (hair) and the plate.
- Glue the tie under the chin.
- Alternative: You could leave off the eyes and cut holes
instead. Attach a popsicle stick or unsharpened pencil to the bottom
with tape and use it as a pilgrim mask to hold in front of the face.
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Printable version of these instructions