crafts > [Advent] [Angels] [Gifts] [Ornaments] [Other] [Reindeer] [Religious] [Santa and Elves] [Trees] [Wreaths]
DLTK's Gifts Kids Can Make
Easy Blanket Idea
Thanks so much to Deb C. for sharing this idea with us.
"I've included a few pictures to help the more visual learners among us!!...Deb"
think that Deb's idea would make a fantastic Christmas gift for any of
the kids on your list or for a new baby. Just visit your local
fabric store to find a suitable pattern and then sit down with your kids
one afternoon and you will have it all completed in no time!
- 2 pieces of fleece, knit jersey, or another fabric that won't ravel when you cut it.
( They should be the size you want the finished blanket to be plus an extra 4" all around
They can be contrasting, matching, or the same fabric).
- Lay them out on the floor with wrong sides together. Trim if you wish, but the fabric edges don't have to *exactly* match.
- Now cut all around through both layers -- strips about 4" long & 1" to 1.25" wide (like fringe).
- You will also have to cut a square out of each corner -- you will have to judge how big.
- Now just double-knot each pair of strips tightly all the way around.
That's it! Since the fabric won't unravel there's no sewing involved. And the finished blanket is machine-washable.
We though Deb's idea would make a great gift for our Tasha and Kaitlyn's new baby cousin so we took them to the fabric store to pick out some fleece. Kaitlyn picked Hello Kitty and Tasha picked the cow jumping over the moon. The girls were quite proud of their day and night blanket!