National watermelon day is celebrated August 3rd each year.
Some watermelon facts:
- Watermelons are a little over 90% water which makes them the perfect snack for a hot summer day.
- Watermelon is a type of large berry known as pepos -- this type of berry has a tough rind, pulpy flesh and flat seeds (cucumbers also fall into this category)
- The Guinness book of world records has the largest ever watermelon recorded at a whopping 350.5 pounds.
- Watermelons take about 100 days to mature
- The first known watermelons were grown in Egypt in 2000 BC
My favourite watermelon related activity:
- a seed spitting contest! Stand on a chalk line on the driveway and see who can spit their watermelon seed the furthest.
My favourite way of eating watermelon:
- cut chunks or wedges. Stick a popsicle stick in them, arrange on a cookie sheet so they aren't touching each other and freeze for about 3 hours. Enjoy your healthy, cold snacks on a hot summer day!