DLTK's Crafts for Kids
National Ice Cream Month - July each year
Photograph by Nas Mato on Unsplash.com
National Ice Cream Month is celebrated each year in July. The holiday started in the United States in 1984 and technically was only made official for the year of 1984, but since then the holiday has still be celebrated. A lot of ice cream companies promote National Ice Cream Month too. Of course, July is the perfect month for ice cream because of the hot summer weather! Every summer adventure should be celebrated with a little ice cream at the end.
Fun Facts about Ice Cream
- When ice cream is first made it has tiny air bubles that help to ake it so light and fluffy. But when ice cream melts and refreezes, that air escapes and the ice cream becomes much less fluffy.
- Brain-freeze is caused when the blood vessels between your mouth and brain constrict and trap blood in the brain. So basically, eating a big mouthful of super cold ice cream creates a brain freeze caused by built up pressure.
- Vanilla used to be very rare in the 18th century, but nowadays vanilla ice cream is often given the reputation of being "plain". Nonetheless, vanilla is still the most popular flavour of ice cream.
- The tallest ice cream cone is 9 feet tall!
- Cows produce enough milk to make 2 gallons of ice cream per day!
There are lots of fun ways to celebrate National Ice Cream month like the crafts and activities below, making ice cream, or hosting an ice cream sundae party!
Connect the Dots Ice Cream Cone
Elmo with an Ice Cream Cone Toilet Paper Roll Craft
great for preschoolers
Ice Cream Paper Craft
toddlers and up
Shrinky Dink Patterns
suitable for grade school children
Other Holidays You May Be Interested In:
- National Dairy Month - June
- Summer - June to September